Mar 4, 2013

It is tough to further your education as a nontraditional student. I know... I was one. Even so, I managed to excel at being a student and you can too.

This article is geared towards time management and students and will hopefully help you to know how to have enough time to study when you have kids.

Plan ahead according to your college schedule
This skill is super important and will be a life-saver in helping you find adequate studying time. At the beginning of the semester after I'd received each syllabi I'd put everything I could see I would have to do into a planner on the date it was due. That way, I'd know... at a glance... how I needed to allot my time for each and every week. With that information I'd plan for that week including:
  • Menus-It would be easy to see if I had exams I needed to study for or papers due that I needed to work on. If that were the case I could plan on meals that were (a) quick, (b) utilizing leftovers, (c) pulled out of the freezer stock (e.g., a pre-made meatloaf), (d) cooked ahead over the weekend (e.g., spaghetti transformed to lasagna), or (e) able to be put in the crockpot in the morning.

  • Laundry-It has always been pure common-sense to me to do laundry while I was cooking. It's like multitasking at its finest. My clothes are washing at the same time I'm cooking. While I'm eating I pop them in the dryer and that evening I spend 15 or 20 minutes putting them up. How easy is that? You're utilizing time that is already being wasted (figuratively speaking, of course). The time saved here can easily be reinvested into studying.
Don't try to do everything yourself
There is absolutely no need to try to do everything yourself. I know... I know... no one else does it quite like you do. Believe me, I know. When I cook I use a lot of dish towels and dish cloths. During the week that equals up to a lot... and I do mean a lot... of towels to fold.

My best friend just out-of-the-blue started folding dish towels for me one night. He didn't do it anywhere near like I like it but you know what... he saved me 30 minutes or so of folding and I spent 5 minutes straightening them out the way I like them (neatly with all folded edges facing to the right).

I could have stopped him, shown him the way I like them folded, ruined him ever volunteering again, and cost myself a lot of time, or just let him do it to begin with. Since that time he's folded towels for me many times. Never the way I like them but it always gets done.

If you could save a half hour here and a half hour there they add up to hours (that word is plural and I really want to emphasize that just in case you didn't notice it being bolded, italicized, and underlined). That's where you'll get the majority of the time you'll have available for studying... saving the smaller time chunks.

Your spouse, kids, friends, and family can all pitch in and help with various things. Many times all it takes is asking. When it comes to time management and students everyone wants to know how to have enough time to study when you have kids. If you've struggled with the same question you're not alone but it can be done.

Are you ready to get serious about your Home Time Management? If so, then download my info packed mp3 that clearly explains Key Concepts About Time Management. Not knowing even a single one of these may be why you're struggling. If you're tired of struggling and want to totally change your life then check out my Bi-Monthly Coaching Program designed for really busy women. We'll talk twice per month and I'll help you get your life under control and find time for studying.

No comments:

Post a Comment